Granite is an igneous rock, with visible grains that create contrasting perforations. When cut as a slab, it forms a stunning centerpiece for any kitchen. In fact, for a time, it was the most sought-after countertop material.
ADVANTAGES OF GRANITE COUNTERTOP
- Colours, striations and veining are available in an endless variety. Between the light and dark shades, there are so many you can choose from.
- The most stunning natural stone on the market.
- Highly durable and can quite possible outlast your house if taken care of properly. If you chip it (You are freakishly strong, but we understand it happens), we recommend keeping the piece and having it glued on by professionals at Edstone Inc.
- For the most part, they’re heat resistant so you don’t have to worry about scorch marks from pans.
- Granite is pretty hard so knives won’t damage your
DISADVANTAGES OF GRANITE COUNTERTOP
- Slabs are a maximum of 3 meters long and 2 meters wide. So for larger area’s, seams may become very apparent. You can always opt for a darker color to make the seamless noticeable, but a natural stone is unique, so it will never match completely.
- If pots have grease on them or any organic liquid, it can seep into the porous granite and stain the surface.
- So, remember when I said, your knives can do no harm to granite? Well, it turns out, granite can do more harm to your knives. It can dull your knives.
- Granites hardness, though typically an asset, can be a real problem if you have glass bowls, china or wine glasses. A slight tap when placing the bowl on the countertop and you can create a hairline crack, and this can propagate into an even bigger crack.
- Any natural stone has a slight risk of carrying radioactive materials like Radon. Have your slabs tested in the warehouse before installation?
HOW TO CLEAN GRANITE COUNTERTOP?
- Stick to cleaners that are pH neutral. Try a damp dishcloth with warm soapy water.
- Never use an abrasive cleaner or anything too acidic or alkaline. You don’t want to scratch or strip the seal, leaving it exposed and vulnerable to seepage and stains.
- Organic liquids like alcohol, vinegar, citrus juices and cooking oil can penetrate the seal and seep into the surface, discoloring it. Blot them up immediately. Never wipe because that simply spreads stains.
HOW TO PROPERLY MAINTAIN GRANITE COUNTERTOP?
Granite needs to be resealed once every six months. You need an impregnating stone sealer that works on all stone surfaces and does not alter the color. Countertops Deland
- Clean your countertop with a stone cleaner, and let it dry completely.
- Apply the sealer to a dry, clean and lint-free cloth, and wipe down the entire countertop surface including the edges.
- Wait for 5 to 10 minutes before applying the second coat, and you’re done.
- Wait 24 hours for the repellant effect to take hold, before preparing food on the countertop.
Watch this video for further explanations
PRICE POINT OF GRANITE COUNTERTOP
Granite is one of the most expensive materials in the market, with prices ranging from $100 to $300 USD. The installation also commands a hefty sum as a single mistake can botch the slab, and you’d need a new one. Another costly expense is building strong cabinets that can take the load of granite. As for me great countertops in edstoneinc.com